White bird of paradise - Knowledgebase Question

New Port Richey, Fl
Question by lstransky
I bought a White Bird of Paradise to use in a pot on the back porch. my question is after reading the lable I see that this plant can grow quite tall. Do they have a large root ball? Is it similar to a palm tree root? And where I might plant in was near my pond to offer shade but it is near a concrete porch. Is that going to be a problem. If I keep in container will that stunt growth?

0

The root system of the white bird of paradise is quite extensive. It grows from rhizomes and the rhizomes can sprout new plants at will. The rhizomes are very large and strong enough to muscle their ways through the ground, under the deck and beneath concrete. It's not the kind of plant you want near a pond or pool unless you plant it in a very large concrete container. The roots will grow just about everything else. If you want shade for your pond, a palm will be better behaved, or Elephant Ears or even a banana tree. If you want to plant a bird of paradise in a pot on your back porch, a dwarf bird of paradise will give you the same flowers but will be slow growing and much better behaved.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"