neighbors horrible vine weeds - Knowledgebase Question

philadelphia, Pe
Question by jennsdonnysg
I share a chain link fence with my neighbor and they have these horrible vine weeds that grow on the fence and try to seed in my yard. Every time I plant something they get chocked by these weeds. I've tried pulling them out its so frustrating. Can I spray a weed killer before I start to avoid this?

0

A weed killer may or may not be effective against this invasive vine. It might be that cutting off any of the vines that sprout in your garden and painting the stubs with Round Up will kill the roots and keep them from sprouting again but I think a better approach is to remove any vines in the area you want to plant and then cover the soil with a weed barrier fabric. This will keep any seeds in the ground from sprouting and will keep any seeds falling from the vine from rooting in the soil. You can cut slits or X's in the weed barrier to plant your plants and then cover over the weed barrier with decorative rocks or bark chips. Hand pull any vines that sprout in the rocks or bark chips. It should be easy to remove them because they won't have a chance to send out deep roots. Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"