hibuscus problems - Knowledgebase Question

desert hot springs, Ca
Question by dongc
i live by palm springs, ca and some of my hibiscus plants have lots of blooms but are loosing there leaves. One of then has been blooming sense i planted it last fall and it was a beautiful plant, it is still blooming but hardly has any leaves left and looks as though it going to die. I have another one and the leaves are not very green. some of them are turning yellow. is there anything i can do?

As long as your hibiscus are blooming, they're relatively healthy. It's normal for the oldest (innermost and lowest) leaves to drop but new leaves should replace them within a few days. You may want to carefully inspect the leaves and the stems of your plants. It may be that there is an insect infestation and that's what is causing the leaf drop. Soils in your region tend to be very alkaline which can keep nutrients from being available to the roots of your plants. Usually an application of Ironite will counteract this and restore the green color to the leaves of your plants. Apply in amounts as recommended on the label, which varies with the size of the plant. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"