Stayman's winesap apple tree - Knowledgebase Question

andover, Mi
Question by rdhedlund
Live in Minnesota planted two trees last fall. Need to know how to care for them. How to prevent Fungas insects etc. When to fertilize and when to spray horticultural oil. What brands of spray are available. Also have deer so how may I deter them from trees. I heard about hanging Dial soap bar from tree also hanging CD disk. Would this help deter deer?

Apple trees need a regular program of spraying and it must be done according to the correct timing (depending on the weather) in order for it to be effective -- often it begins in winter so you may be a bit late for this season. Horticultural oil, sprayed in the winter months (sometimes called dormant spray in the fruit tree section of the store), will suffocate overwintering insects and their eggs. Lime/sulfur will help prevent diseases but must be sprayed at specific intervals (bud break, petal fall, etc.) Sometimes sold as Bordeaux spray in the fruit tree section of the garden center. Lots of brands are available. Follow the label directions and your trees should be as pest free as possible. It's difficult to deter deer. Any scare tactics (soap or CD's) should be moved around during the season. If the deer become accustomed to them, they won't be afraid of them. Sadly, deer are really difficult to keep away from apple trees so enclosing each with a fence might be the only option until the trees grow up a bit. The good news is that once a tree matures the deer can only reach the lower branches - all the rest of the apples will be yours!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"