spring/summer care - Knowledgebase Question

South Boston, Ma
Question by L__Dwyer
I have 10 fairly healthy mainly non flowering houseplants. I am repotting and pruning of some of the brown spotted leaves and will be fertilizing them during the next couple of weeks. Would you recommend the use of leaf shine or other similiar products? Additionally, I genrally put them outdoors for a while in the late spring or in summer and they seem to respond well. Any cautions here?

Setting houseplants outdoors during the spring and summer months seems to give them a new lease on life. The only cautions are to double check their watering needs because they will use more water while they are growing, and to keep them in the shade so they won't sunburn. I'd advise against the leaf shine products. While they make the leaves shiny - sometimes unnaturally so - they can also block the stomata (microscopic pores on the leaves used for transporation and respiration). Instead of leaf shine products, just wipe the leaves clean of dust with a damp cloth. Best wishes with your houseplants.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"