repel dogs - Knowledgebase Question

Twelve Mile, In
Question by dlredweik
I have dogs that love to be in my flower beds. Is there anything that will work to keep them away?

Cats and dogs like to dig in nice soft soil and they visit out of habit. If you make it uncomfortable for them, they'll soon find another place to go. I've found that the best deterrent is to drive stakes around the perimeter of the bed and string nylon fishing line between the stakes, criss-crossing it so there's no more than about 8" inches between the lines. Keep the line about 6" inches off the ground and the plant leaves will disguise it. Cats and dogs won't be able to walk or dig in the soil and will find another litter box or place to dig. If you have beds that are not yet planted, you can lay crumpled chicken wire over the soil and cut holes in it for planting. As the plants grow, the leaves will cover the wire and you won't notice it. Or, you can spread a 3" - 4" inch layer of mulch material over the soil. The larger the material, the less likely cats and dogs will want to dig in it. Try rose canes, the largest size of landscape bark, or the longest straw you can find. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"