Plants for Partial Shade - Knowledgebase Question

Tampa, Fl
Question by mperinetti
I am starting a garden in my Florida yard, but the only space I have is in partial shade. I am particularly interested in growing vegetables and herbs. What can you recommend?

You can grow a number of leafy vegetables (those that do not flower and bear fruit) in a partly shaded area. Leaf lettuces, radishes, cabbage, broccoli, kohlrabbi, Swiss chard, and sometimes even carrots. You'll need to experiment a bit to see what grows best for you. Stay away from tomatoes, peppers, melons and squash - they all need full sunshine. Same with herbs. You can grow parsley, basil, chives, etc. in a partially shaded garden. Before planting, work some organic matter into the soil to make a nice, loamy bed for your new plants. Hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"