little holes in lawn - Knowledgebase Question

auburn, Ma
Question by williamchar
there are little holes all over our lawn.does that maen grubs are ther

0

I don't think the holes are caused by grubs, at least not at this time of the year. Grubs feed near the soil surface from July through October but go deep into the soil the other months of the year. Grubs feed on grass roots until the grass dries out and dies. The turf can easily be pulled back like a carpet. To check for grubs, peel back the grass. Just a couple grubs per square foot are not a problem to an otherwise healthy lawn. Ten or more per square foot are necessary to justify treatment. I suspect the holes are from earthworms that surfaced when the ground became saturated with rainfall. They can suffocate without fresh air and they typically surface when the soil becomes saturated but then work their way back down into the soil once the excess water drains. Hope this helps solve the mystery.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"