Scale Insects on Houseplants - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by phylliszap
I have house plants which have developed scales, the pancake like little creatures that live on the underside of the leaves. What can I do to get rid of them before other plants get them?

The first step is to isolate the pest ridden plants so your unaffected plants won't be targets. There are several ways to control the scale insects. You can peel them off with your fingernail, dab each and every one with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol, or use a pyrethroid based insecticide. Bioneem by Safer; Bon-Neem by Bonide or Power Force Multi-Insect Killer by Bayer are examples. The only caution is that these chemicals can damage plant leaves so be sure to read the label. The plant in question should be listed as safe to apply the product on. If all these methods fail, sometimes it is best to toss the infested plants and start all over with healthy new plants.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"