leyland cyprus - Knowledgebase Question

Dacula, Ge
Question by dianepinkard
Last year I cut down a lot of privot hedge bushes that went around my chain link fence that is around my in ground pool. For privacy I planted 5 Leyland Cyprus trees. Now I fear for my septic tank. What should I do before they are in the ground to long?? Georgia 30019

Leyland cypress is not considered to have water-seeking invasive roots, but they can potentially grow really large and their root systems will be quite extensive, as well. If your septic system is close by, you may want to move the cypresses and plant something smaller with a smaller root system. some fast growing shrubs to consider include Farkleberry shrubs (Vaccinium arboretum), also called sparkleberry bushes, which typically reach between 12 and 15 feet high in Georgia landscapes. Fragrant, white flowers appear from March through June, followed by blue-black berries that attract wildlife. This member of the Ericaceae plant family bears aromatic, deep green leaves that turn dark red in the autumn. Farkelberries prefer acidic, rocky or sandy soils in partial shade. Farkleberry shrubs work well as ornamental landscape plants.

The wax myrtle (Morella cerifera), sometimes referred to as the southern bayberry, is a wispy, perennial shrub ranging from 6 to 12 feet in height. This evergreen shrub features aromatic, pale green leaves, white to gray bark and light blue berries commonly eaten by birds. Non-showy, green blossoms appear in March and April. Wax myrtles need moist, acidic soils in partly shady to fully sunny locations. These shrubs tolerate some drought conditions once established. Georgia gardeners often use wax myrtles as hedges, screens and landscaping plants.

Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"