squirrels - Knowledgebase Question

milford, Co
Question by bjk607
what or how can I keep a squirrel out of my garden, and how do I keep them from stealing my bulbs.

Squirrels can smell the fresh bulbs in the ground and are also curious to see what you are burying there. Once the bulbs have been in the ground all winter, squirrels seem to leave them alone. You may have to try a combination of tricks to outwit the squirrels. If you are planting a large bed that doesn't have any obstacles to work around, you can cover the area with chicken wire as a barrier to prevent digging. For smaller areas, try placing a big saucer or a board over the newly planted spot. Surface barriers need to stay in place until the ground freezes and be removed before the bulbs sprout in spring. Some gardeners have had success with repellents such as blood meal. Another trick is to dip the bulbs in TreeGuard before planting them. Covering the bulbs with a few handfuls of sharp gravel is a good deterrent because it hurts the squirrels' feet. Best wishes with your bulb garden!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"