big holes on lawn - Knowledgebase Question

auburn, Ma
Question by williamchar
there is some kind of animal digging many holes in my yard.It is about 3 inches deep and 3-4 inches wide.Is there any thing I can put down to get rid of this animal?Soon he will have my whole lawn full of holes.

The holes in your lawn could be caused by raccoons, squirrels, moles, voles, rabbits, or even prairie dogs. I'm at a loss to suggest what, or how to control. I think your best option is to photgraph the holes (they may offer clues) and take the photo to your local cooperative extension office or Master Gardener Clinic. I'm not exactly sure where you are so here's a contact for UMass extension service:

Just type in your county and you'll be given the address and phone number of the closest extension office.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"