Plums - Knowledgebase Question

Denham Springs, Ke
Question by tsoileau3
How do I keep worms out of my plums. Am I not spraying enough or starting too late? Is it ok to spray when the tree is in bloom?
Thanks a million for helping.

If the pest is plum curculio, you'll see whitish to yellow-white, legless grubs with brown heads in the fruit. This small weevil eats a hole in developing fruit and deposits eggs inside. Once the worms hatch, they feed, and often the fruit ripens and drops early.

Another possible pest is the Oriental fruit moth. The larvae are pinkish, 1/2 -inch worms with legs. Symptoms include damaged growing tips.

Treatment timing for either pest is most important. You don't want to spray and kill insects that pollinate the blooms so it's generally recommended applications be made when the petals fall. You can use a general purpose fruit tree spray and follow the recommendations for timing. Make sure plum curculio or Oriental fruit moth are in the list of pests controlled (on the label) and the spray should be effective. Good luck with your plum tree.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"