WHEN TO START - Knowledgebase Question

wasilla, Al
Question by Jeremy_D_Wal
Im new to Alaska, When should I start planting vegetables in the ground? should I start with seeds or starts?

0

Although your growing season is short, the days are long so veggies take advantage of the extra daylight and can catch up when planted in late April or early May. You can sow seeds or set transplants into your garden, depending upon what you want to grow. If you're anxious to get your garden growing you can sow seeds of peas and green beans in late April. Chives, carrots, cabbage and broccoli can also be direct seeded. These plants don't mind the cooler air and soil temperatures. Rather than sowing seeds of heat loving veggies, I'd use starts. Tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants are examples of warm season veggies that you'll have better success with if you set out transplants rather than direct seed. For these plants, wait until mid- to late May when both the soil and the air temperatures are warm. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"