tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

lehi, Ut
Question by mandmsw
my tomatoes always have split tops and do not ripen. what is the best type of regular and cherry to plant in my area

To address the splitting problem, tomatoes are moisture sensitive and need a regular supply of water to thrive and produce fruit. How often to water depends on your particular soil's characteristics. You want to keep it uniformly moist, but not soaking wet, to a depth of 12-18 inches. Tomatoes will grow rapidly during a hot dry spell followed by heavy rainfall or heavy watering. It can also happen during wet, warm periods. Unfortunately, these conditions almost force the tomatoes to grow right out of their skins! When they can't stretch any more, they split. This is most annoying as you have found. If the cracks are shallow they will heal over. The fruits certianly are edible - they just look bad! If the splits are deep enough they can be susceptible to decay organisms. If you keep soil evenly moist with frequent watering and mulch, this will reduce the problem. Try tomato varieties that are crack tolerant or resistant, such as 'Burpee Big Girl', 'Celebrity', 'Husky Gold'. 'Sweet Million' has better crack resistance than many other cherry tomatoes. I hope this information helps with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"