Rose Bush - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by jdeaeex
I live in Chicago and I want to put a rose bush in the front yard, how do I begin?

Roses do well in average to excellent soil in a well drained (meaning never any standing water or overly wet soil), sunny location (sun all day or for six hours including noon). Dig a planting hole as deep and slightly wider than the nursery container, set the rose bush in the planting hole and backfill with the soil you took out of the hole. Water it well after planting. Water often enough to keep the soil moist but not sopping wet and use several inches of organic mulch over the root zone to help keep the soil cool and moist. You may want to take a look at a book or two about roses and about gardening in general. I would suggest the Dummies series which can be found at most libraries and bookstores -- these books provide good, straightforward, practical information. Good luck with your rose.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"