New grass seeds after using crab grass preventer - Knowledgebase Question

Woodbridge, Vi
Question by ismaildost
I used crab grass preventer plus fertilizer on March 16th. On the bag it says that I can not put new grass seed for almost 4 months after using it. I need to know is that if I use new grass seeds on few patches in my lawn after one month of using crab grass preventer I wont get any result from grass seeds because of crab grass preventer or just certain percentage of seeds will not germinate.

The pre emergent crabgrass preventer will effectively keep all seeds from germinating, whether they are weed seeds or grass seeds. The product wears away in 4 months and it's safe to overseed at that time. Since you have some bare patches, you may be able to dig out the soil in the patches, replace it with fresh soil (or rake the area and hopefully rake out the pre emergent), mix in some compost to help loosen the soil and then overseed that spot. Give it a try. If you're successful in one patch, you should be successful in all the others.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"