Papaya - Knowledgebase Question

Dededo, Gu
Question by mveyonip
I have papayas in my backyard, all looks healthy with lots of big fruits, but why is it like one time fruiting and the leaves starts to fall and the tree died. I had 4 papaya trees but after the first fruits comes out the leaves started to curl no matter how i tried to give the best care it just died

It's difficult to diagnose the problem without seeing the plant. Water stress can cause the symptoms you describe. Too little water (drought) will cause sudden death but root rot from too much water or poorly draining soils can also cause the symptoms you describe. A disease called Papaya apical necrosis is a virus and the symptoms include a drooping and downward cupping of the leaves, reduced leaf size, and browning of the leaf margins. At present there is no control for this disease. Sorry I can't positively diagnose the problem for you.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"