green onions - Knowledgebase Question

Lacey, Wa
Question by alazysly
Last year I planted onion sets in a newly dug garden bed. The green tops came up and the bulbs started to grow, but suddenly the tops started dying. I didn't find any critters, but the tops all died anyway. Now a few weeks ago, some of the tops are starting again, and some bulbs are still in the ground. They are not growing yet. Is there something wrong with the soil? Who kills onions besides me?

0

I'd dig out the bulbs that are behaving badly and inspect them as well as the soil for grubs or worms. If the bulbs are not physically damaged you can replant them.

Onions usually retain their green tops until a heavy frost or snow fall kills them off. Sounds like yours are going to give you a second opportunity to harvest what you planted. I'd just leave them alone. When the tops turn yellow at the end of summer or early fall, the bulbs are ready for harvest. You can dig them out of the soil and store them for winter use.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"