Growing beans in a Container - Knowledgebase Question

Maryville, Te
Question by noelletheath
I'm starting a container garden for the first time and need some advice on my Kentucky Wonder Green Beans. The seed packet says to plant along a 6 foot trellis, but obviously this won't fit in the container. What size container do you reccomend I plant in and what kind of trellis or cage would you reccomend for the most vertical growth? The seeds have already sprouted to 6+ inches!

You should be able to plant your beans in a 3 to 5 gallon container and stick bamboo or willow branches or anything similar around the inside rim of the container, gather them up at the top like a teepee and tie it securely, then train your beans to grow around the teepee. Or you can set the container near a fence or trellis or most anything else so they can lean over and crawl up. If push comes to shove, just purchase a tomato cage and set it in or over the pot. The beans will climb up and hang over the cage. Best wishes with your beans!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"