Wisteria Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Warrrenton, Vi
Question by simideni
Please let me know whether a Wisteria can be cut back. We inherited it from a previous owner and last year it didn't seem to bloom as much. I cut it back a year ago. Was that the right thing to do? Does it bloom on old vines?

0

Wisteria can and should be pruned to keep it under control, but timing is everything with these plants. Pruning wisteria extensively during dormant season encourages rampant vegetative growth the next spring but very few flowers. To avoid this, prune in July, removing the long, straggly growth and leaving those branches needed for climbing. This is more likely to induce flowering than anything else. Cut shoots back one-third to one-half their length, which causes the production of short spurs upon which next season's flower clusters are borne. Wisterias bloom abundantly if planted in well-drained soil and full sun, watered well the first growing season and pruned in the summer.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"