Misting Boston Ferns - Knowledgebase Question

Yellowknife, NT
Question by bonner7
I have a problem with humidity living in the north. How often should I spray mist my boston fern and can you suggest a solution to use, such as soda water?

0

Boston Ferns thrive on humidity. They're also very forgiving plants and can do without constant (around the clock) humidity. The leaves will look best if you spray them daily, but I've gotten my plant to adjust to misting every three days. Plain water is best. If you can move your plant away from heat sources (stoves, baseboard heaters or radiators) the leaves will stay plump and green, and you won't have to mist as often. Or, you can put your plant on a tray filled with pebbles and keep water in the tray. As it evaporates it will increase the humidity in the immediate vicinity of the plant.