green gage plum - Knowledgebase Question

lehi, Ut
Question by mandmsw
self polleninating, fruit only gets light yellow and bitter but turns purple very fast and rots and is ineditable. when should it be picked how should I fertilize. I deep water in summer

0

Although Green Gage is sold as self-fertile, in fact it is only barely so. You'll have a better harvest if you plant a second tree. Use Stanley, Coe's Golden Drop or Angelina Burdett as pollenizers for your Green Gage. Green Gage is considered a Mid season plum.The small to medium sized fruit are green, or in some variants, greenish yellow. The flesh is a transluscent greenish yellow, and the taste is pure nectar. It is one of the most refined and exquisitely flavored plums there is. Unfortunately, the fruit is prone to splitting after rain. Harvest when the fruit is the right size and color and just barely gives when you press against the skin. Those that turn purple are overmature so try harvesting earlier. You can feed your tree with a 5-10-10 after flowering.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"