Purple fountain grass - Knowledgebase Question

Lacey, Wa
Question by alazysly
I live in Washington state. It has been pretty cold so far. I bought 2 purple fountain grasses last year and they were beautiful They even gave me plumes:-). We cut them back to about a foot in the late fall. Were we supposed to? So far now, there are 2 mounds of dead, brown grass. No color yet. Did we kill them, or they really slow starters? Do they need fertilizer? Hope you can help us save them

Purple fountain grass is not reliably hardy in the Olympia area. When there's a mild winter, they will sometimes come back, but more often than not they die out over the winter months. It's still a little early in the season, though. I'd give them another 3-4 weeks. If you don't see any new blades by then, they will probably need to be replaced.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"