mint - Knowledgebase Question

mchenry, Il
Question by Jack2patty
have a large flowerbed that has mint in it.Last year I dug up the bed and put in weed blocker. It still comes up around flowers.Any sugestions how to kill it and not my flowers?

I think you made the mint mad! Mint is a formidible plant and is categorized as a weed. Because the plant sends out underground runners in all directions, it's built for survival. If you pull out as much as possible, raking the soil for small root pieces, and then put down landscape fabric or other sturdy mulch, you can control it, but it really can't be eradicated, even with nasty chemicals, unless you dig out every tiny remnant of root. Whenever you see it popping up, pull it up as best you can. Weed barrier fabric will only encourage it to grow beneath the fabric until it reaches the sunlight, but at least it will only emerge at the edges of the weed fabric and not in the middle of the bed. If you are really desperate you can try cutting the mint sprouts and immediately painting the stubs with Round Up or Brush B Gon. These herbicides will travel down to the roots of the mint but will not move in the soil so the roots of your other plants will be safe, but if you touch your other plants with the product, it can kill them, as well. So, there's no easy way to eliminate the mint, but if you keep at it, you'll eventually win the battle.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"