Artichoke branches breaking - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by georgeareid
I have two artichokes that are 36 inches apart. One of them keeps having the outside branches crack up and breaking within 4-5 inches from the base of the plant. it looks healthy is this ok? Also want to transplant some artichoke seedlings from one garden to another, any advice or just go for it?

0

I've had the same thing happen to my artichoke plants and I think it's weather related. If you water from the top and the foliage gets wet, it can get heavy. All you need is a little stress crack and then some nice warm sunshine to weaken the tissues and cause the leaf to crack and break. I just cut them off the plants with a nice clean cut and chalk it up to the nature of the plant. Small artichoke plants should be easy to transplant. Keeping the roots as intact as possible is the key to healthy transplants so dig deeper and wider than you think you should and you won't damage any of the roots. Best wishes with the move!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"