Shrubs - Knowledgebase Question

woodstock, Ge
Question by kasi_fisher
My husband and I just purchased our first home. There is one constant band of shrubs that start at the fron of the house and continue over to the side. We are not moving in until the first week of June so I know it will be to late to plant anything pretty, but I wanted to trim them in a modern way and break them up, because right now the way they look is very dated and sloppy. Please give advice.

Early spring is a great time to trim hedges - unless they flower in the spring. In that case, you might want to wait until they have finished flowering and then prune. I'm not sure what kinds of shrubs you are growing but it is usually safe for the plants to be pruned back by about a third. If you prune back more than that during any one pruning session, you might stress them enough to keep them from leafing out and growing. So the best approach is to prune them back by one third this spring and if they are still too large, prune them back by a third next spring. It will take a few years but you should be able to reduce their height and width to your liking. Hope this information provides some guidance.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"