tulip problems - Knowledgebase Question

Myrtle Beach, So
Question by bkdupree
I planted tulips in my garden about 2 yrs ago and they never really did anything except grow one or 2 leaves. It snowed here a month ago and now I am seeing leaves from tulips that never popped up before. are they still good? should a dig them up and save them to

If tulips are planted too deeply, they may run out of stored energy before they can poke their heads out of the ground. That may be what happened to yours. Now that they are more mature, they are larger and able to sprout and bloom for you. I'd just leave them where they are and enjoy the show. Tulips must grow and ripen their foliage naturally in order to rebuild their strength to bloom. This means they must be left in place to grow roots, bloom, grow their foliage, and then the foliage must turn yellow and dry out before you remove it. While it is green, the foliage is manufacturing and transporting energy back to the bulbs for next year's growth. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"