Lawn Care - Knowledgebase Question

Vancouver, Wa
Question by jan023
Today I used the liquid mix of Moss out on my lawn. I also have a bag of Grub Killer stuff. Can I spread out the pellets with the Moss Out just applied to the lawn?

Do I apply sweet lime in one week on teh lawn after the moss has died out?

Thanks,
Jan

0

Sounds like you have all the right products but you may be applying at the wrong times. There are season-long grub killers and there are grub killers that work immediately. If yours states on the package that it is season-long, you can apply it anytime. If yours does not specifically say season long, wait until July or August to apply it to your lawn. Grubs are deep down in the soil now and won't surface until the soil and air temperatures are really warm.

Moss is a symptom of several things: too much shade, poor drainage, compacted soil, acidic soil. If you can address each of these causes, you can eliminate moss from your lawn. If you have a lot of shade, grass won't grow well (except when first sodded) and will become thin and more vulnerable to weeds and moss. Limbing up nearby trees or thinning out the canopies might supply more sunlight to the area. Poor drainage is usually caused by clay soils or those that are compacted due to heavy foot traffic. Amending clay soils (to a depth of 4-5") and aerating every few years will give your lawn a better opportunity to drain well. Aeration can be done with a machine you can rent at most garden centers. The machine pulls 1/2" by 3" plugs out of the ground. You can leave the plugs where they lay and they will break down over a period of several weeks. After plugging you can sprinkle sand on the lawn. The sand will work its way down into the holes left from the plugs and will help improve the drainage and compaction problem. Acidic soils can promote the growth of moss so you might want to have your soil tested. If it is 6.0 or below you can spread lime over your lawn in the fall. It will break down over the winter months and help sweeten the soil. There are moss killers on the market but you'll find that the moss will turn black when it?s killed and you'll need to rake it out anyway, so I always suggest foregoing the moss killers and simply raking the moss out. After raking you can aerate the lawn as above and then reseed the bare areas. This fall you can address the problem with acidity by spreading lime. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"