Hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

Carlsbad, Ca
Question by sibyllart
I live in Southern California. My hibiscus is turning yellow and is losing leaves. No white flies. Do I need to fertilize it now? What kind of fertilizer should I use?. Thanks,

Yellow leaves can be caused by many things including natural shedding of older leaves, lack of nitrogen, insufficient light, water-logged soil (plant roots need oxygen to thrive), dry soil, or iron deficiency. If the older bottom leaves are yellow, but new growth is green, it's usually a lack of nitrogen. If new leaves are yellow, with green veins, it's usually a lack of iron. (Lack of nitrogen is a more common problem than lack of iron.) Soil should be kept moderately moist (but not wet). You can feed your hibiscus with any balanced garden fertilizer such as a 10-10-10 or 20-20-20.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"