Somethings eating my vegetables - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, Ne
Question by eeowens5
Hi! I've been growing summer squash, tomatos, peppers. For the past 3 years, we get some nice starter fruit/vegs. then the stalk of the plant seems to get hollow and it seems like something is eating the plant /fruit from the inside out. I can't identify what's doing it. I need to figure out what's doing it and a safe way to kill it. Thx!

0

Until you find the culprits, it will be difficult to know how to stop them. Squash can be attractive to squash vine borers. Look for yellow sap leaking from the vine or sawdust looking matter beneath the vine. Little fruit worms can enter the fruit and feed on the inside so cut open the fruits and look carefully for them. You might be able to protect your veggies by covering them with a floating row cover which will act as a barrier to flying insects. Just watch your plants carefully and the minute you see a sign of something wrong, carefully examine the plants. Hope you figure out the problem. Once you do, submit another question to this forum with the type of pest you're finding and we'll do our best to offer control advice. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"