bouganvilla shock - Knowledgebase Question

Long Beach, Ca
Question by annemcmills
Hello, I am new to gardening. Recently I purchased a bouganvilla. When I transplanted it to a new pot the rot ball became disturbed by accident. Now it's been a few days, and it still seems to be in shock. Will it recover?? Is there anything I can do to help it? Or should I consider starting all over again?

Thank you for your advice.

Bougainvilleas are especially resentful when their root system is disturbed when being transplanted but they nearly always recover. They may sulk for a few months, but then they establish themselves and start to grow. At this point there's nothing you can or should do. Just water on a regular basis and your bougainvillea will eventually recover from the transplant shock. Just be patient with your plant. It may look puny for several weeks. Water deeply and then allow the top inch of soil to dry out before watering again. I'm sure it will be fine.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"