how to get rid of weeds - Knowledgebase Question

peoria, Ar
Question by ocrtfuentes
i just moved to AZ, the front yard of the house had a border under the window that grows weeds, i tried to plant flowers but weeds still grows, i think the land isn't prepared to plant, what can i do to avoid the weeds?

I think I'd completely remove the weeds, roots and all, then plant your flowers and use a pre emergent weed control product such as Preen over the bed. Once the flowers are in and the pre emergent has been applied you can cover over the bare soil between the plants with 2-3 inches of compost or other mulch material to further suppress weeds. Be sure to apply the pre emergent according to label directions. These steps should keep the bed weed free all season long. Best wishes with your flower bed.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"