Lawn Care - Knowledgebase Question

Slidell, Lo
Question by rockislga3
What do I have to do to get RID of crabgrass. I have put down Haltz early in the season. Now it is so out of control. How can I get rid of it? There are seed pods all over the place.

Timing is everything when it comes to crabgrass control. Crabgrass starts germinating when soil temperatures are 50 to 55 degrees F for ten or more days and germination can take place over a 6 week period. Pre-emergence herbicides provide excellent weed control for crabgrass but they last only about 30 days. The compound prevents the weed seed from germinating, but it will not kill the newly sprouted seedlings. Watch the weather - late February to early March is an ideal time to apply pre-emergence control. A second application might have to be made to keep your lawn a little more crabgrass free. At this point, you might want to try raking it out or hand pulling. Then reapply your pre emergent in 30 days. That should keep the crabgrass under control. Proper lawn maintenance practices can limit crabgrass invasions. A dense stand of turfgrass prevents the weed from germinating and establishing. Fertilize at the end of May and remember that fall fertilizing, overseeding, aeration and thatch control can also limit spring problems. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"