Broccoli - Knowledgebase Question

cape coral, Fl
Question by expositok
Im Growing lot's of broccoli since october of last year, and recently i found out that i need it to cut before the flower shows up so I did the cutting and it's been almost three week's, but I dont see any result's.please can you help me out on this. thank you. adrian

Broccoli grows best in cool weather and will bolt (flower) when the weather gets too warm. If you planted in October you should have some nice heads on your plants and they should be ready for harvest. If you allow the heads to turn yellow and flower, you've already lost your main crop for this year. The edible part of broccoli are compact clusters of unopened flower buds and the attached portion of stem. The green buds develop first in one large central head and later in several smaller side shoots. Cut the central head with 5 to 6 inches of stem, after the head is fully developed, but before it begins to loosen and separate and the individual flowers start to open (show bright yellow). Removing the central head stimulates the side shoots to develop for later pickings. These side shoots grow from the axils of the lower leaves. You usually can continue to harvest broccoli for several weeks.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"