grass under the snow - Knowledgebase Question

East bethel, Mi
Question by tal378
I have 2 questions actually. After the snow melted, I noticed that almost my entire yard has been eaten. What ever it was, it ate the grass, leaving tunnels, nests, and thousands of bare spots. What did this and what can i do to prevent a repeat next year. Its never been this bad. Second....Is it too early to apply grub killer and start fertalizing?

It sounds suspiciously like vole problems. I wish there were an easy solution, but trapping is about the only thing a homeower can do. There are toxic fumigants and baits but they are only available to certified pesticide applicators. You can set regular mouse traps baited with peanut butter or bacon to attract the critters. Reset the traps as often as necessary to eliminate the pesky critters. It is too early to apply grub control. Wait until this summer. Bayer Advanced Season Long Control can be applied in late spring or early summer; Grubex can be applied in mid to late summer (grubs don't come to the surface until then). Wait until your grass begins growing before making your first fertilizer application. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"