Transplanting a crape myrtle. - Knowledgebase Question

Smithton, Il
Question by cindyrodrigu
I have a 4 year old crape myrtle and would like to transplant it to a different spot in my yard. Is it too old to move? Approximately how deep and wide can I expect the roots to be? Any other information I need to know??

0

Late winter and early spring are good times to move landscape trees and shrubs. Expect the roots to be concentrated in the top 12-18 inches of soil and venture out as far as the tips of the branches. It's okay to sever some of the outer roots but you'll want to try to keep the main root mass intact. Aside from working slowly and deliberately when you dig, going around the largest roots so as not to sever them, you should be successful with the move. When you set the tree in the new hole, it should be at the same soil level as it was growing before. Water it well after the move and water on a weekly basis to help the roots re-establish. Best wishes with the move!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"