Correct lawn care & planting - Knowledgebase Question

Pataskala, Oh
Question by klallathin80
Hi. I live in Ohio and bought a new home last spring. I treat with Scotts, which did a good job, but the grass thinned out and looks bare in the front. I was told to use gypsum to aireate before overseeding, then to fertilize with a weed & feed after grass comes in, then use the Turf Builder and go from there. Is this correct? Do I need to weed & feed before I use the Turf Bldr.?

Aside from the double fertilizer applications, I think the advice is sound. Use either weed and feed or straight fertilizer, not both. Scotts Turf Builder is a straight ferilizer; Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2 is a weed and feed product. Gypsum will help with soil pH, if that's a problem, and aeration will improve compaction. If it were my lawn and it was thin, I'd aerate with a core aerator. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating I'd spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs to improve the tilth and help with water drainage and retention. You can then overseed your entire lawn, wait until you've mowed it 2-3 times and then apply your turfbuilder. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"