New Gaqrden - Knowledgebase Question

Bowling Green, Ke
Question by ttm97
I am starting a new vegetable garden. It is 12'x25'. What fertilizer and other stuff do I need to till into the soil. I have been told 10-10-10,peat moss,and manure. What is best for weed control? Should I use straw to cover the area or weedcloth? If I use weedcloth should I put anything on top of it after I put it down. This is my first garden,any tips will be appreciated. Thank You!

0

I think you're on the right track. Start with soil improvement: You can enrich your soil over a period of years and end up with rich garden loam if you add organic matter. Start this spring by removing all vegetation from the area and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the vegetable bed. You can use compost, aged manure (fresh manure can be too hot and might contain weed seeds), shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your veggies and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular vegetable garden. You may not need to fertilize during the season. The organic matter will supply nutrients to your plants. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "