Crepe Myrtles - Knowledgebase Question

Edinburg, Te
Question by mzarate9
I have read two conflicting thingsabout Myrtles. One is that we should not trim them at all because that is butchering them. The other is that they should be cut back for the winter season. Please let me know what your expert opinion is....Thanks.

Some people do butcher crepe myrtles by trimming them way, way back. This makes them more susceptible to disease and insect problems. The best approach is this: Crepe myrtles flower on the new growth of the season so pruning them back a little in the very early spring will promote lots of new growth, which should produce lots of spring flowers. If, after the flowers are spent, you prune your crepe myrtle back again, you'll be rewarded with a second flush of flowers later in the season and you'll be promoting a nice, thick canopy.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"