Gardenias - Knowledgebase Question

Arizona City, Ar
Question by hecknl
When what and when do I use on my Gardenias. I have one very large somewhat bushy is not blooming of have any buds on it. The leaves are not as green as it should be are not shiny like that they used to be. Why and what should I do?

0

Poor growth can be caused by many things: lack of nitrogen; or inability to absorb iron from the soil, and dry soil. If the new leaves are green, and the old leaves are yellow, it's probably a nitrogen deficiency. (Feed with a balanced fertilizer such as 10-10-10, or an organic fertilizer such as fish emulsion.) If new leaves are yellow, with veins showing green, the plant may be having difficulty absorbing iron from your alkaline soils. Apply a chelated iron source such as Ironite. Finally, gardenias do prefer a more acid soil, and as you probably know, our soils are in the 8 to 8.5 range. Even in improved beds, the soil tends to be alkaline. Add peat moss, pine needles (if you can find them), or gypsum to your soil to help reduce alkalinity. Pruning will help encourage new growth and since gardenias develop flower buds on new growth, this should help with the flower production. Best wishes with your gardenias!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"