Flowering hedge or scrub - Knowledgebase Question

Youngstown, Oh
Question by smcarter
I would like to plant a flowering hedge that will grow through and cover a chain link fence. I would like one that I can either let grow somewhat wild or that I can trim back like a hedge. Would forsythias work? What would be other options. It would be up to 5' tall. They would have to be a pet friendly species.

0

Forsythia is a good choice for your purpose as are honeysuckle and climbing hydrangea. Wisteria, clematis and even grapevines might also work. The grapevines will require annual pruning, though, or they will really overtake the fence, and they don't have attractive flowers, but they are mighty vigorous and very green from spring through fall.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"