Pet friendly fruit trees - Knowledgebase Question

Youngstown, Oh
Question by smcarter
I have a small yard maybe 40 X 50. I would like to plant two fruit trees evenly spaced that would have a crown of no more than 20' in diameter for both fruit & shade. My soil (44505) seems to be a very dense sticky clay. I prefer cherry but am open to suggestion. It would be pruned primarily for shade.

0

I'd choose dwarf trees. They grow to about 15' high and wide so nothing will be overcrowded. Fruit trees need a second variety in order to produce fruit so choose two from the following suggestions:
Bing, Stella or Van cherry varieties grow well in Ohio; Damson, Stanley, and Claude plums; Apple varieties that grow well in Ohio include Red Delicious, McIntosh and Rome Beauty, which are red apples. Yellow apple varieties growing in Ohio's climate are Golden Delicious, Lodi and Grimes Golden.

Hope this information helps you choose just the right fruit trees.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"