pruning butterfly bush - Knowledgebase Question

englishtown, Ne
Question by bobhillr2k2
I don't want my bushes to get huge and unruley, but I don't want to prune too much and kill them! what should I do? thanks in advance, Kathy

0

In some places, butterfly bushes freeze down to ground level and start all over, fresh and new in the spring. You can trim yours down to whatever size you'd like and it will respond with lots of healthy new growth. To control the width of the plant, reach down inside and prune off some of the stems in the center of the plant. New ones will grow. If you don't prune them out of the center, new shoots will appear along the outside of the clump and your shrub will get wider and wider with age. Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"