Australian Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Anaheim, Ca
Question by granthamt
I live in an apartment and have planted the tree about 2 years ago, it is growing very well. I was going to start by cutting the lower branches they are about 2' from the ground, if I do this how far up the trunk should I go?

0

You can safely prune off the lower limbs so you can walk under the tree. Cut to the branch collar (swelling) where the branch meets the trunk. Depending upon how tall the tree is now, you may be able to remove several branches, or just a few. Try not to remove more than one third of the tree's branches in any one pruning session - spread the pruning out for 2-3 years if you have to. This way you won't stress the tree.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"