Withered Peaches - Knowledgebase Question

Pflugerville, Te
Question by erskine_tm
I have an 8 year old peach tree that was loaded last year with blossoms and soon after small peaches. About 3 weeks later I noted they started dropping off. We had at best, 6 peaches that matured.

I compost, spray and water my tree but we did have a drought early in the season. Is there any other reason my peaches could have failed? Would wood ashes around the base of the tree cause it?

0

Wood ashes, unless they are really piled high, should not affect your peach tree. It sounds to me like poor pollination. Is there another peach tree in the yard or even in the neighborhood? Although some peach trees are sold as self-fertile, they always produce more fruit if a second peach variety is planted nearby. Another causes of poor pollination is cold or rainy weather when the peach trees are flowering which will keep pollinating insects away. Spraying when the blossoms are fully opened can also interrupt pollination. This year, hope for warmer weather when the flowers are open and don't spray your tree when the flowers are open. Instead spray at the pink stage and after petal fall. Hope this does the trick for you!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"