Flies In Soil - Knowledgebase Question

valencia, Ca
Question by scottlinda53
I have many succulant plants on my balcony. I have noticed lots of little small flies in the soil. What can I do to get rid of them? Someone told me a home remidy to mix a mild dish soap with water.

What you describe sounds like fungus gnats. Fungus gnats feed and breed in decaying organic matter so the potting soil used for your plants provides an almost perfect environment for them. One of the easiest ways to control them is to place a barrier between moist potting soil and the little pests. You can simply cover the soil with aluminum foil or plastic wrap, or cover the top of the soil with pea gravel or decorative rock such as those used in aquariums. Whatever you use, make sure there are no tiny entrance holes for the gnats - they're sure to find them. Another option is to use Gnatrol or insecticidal soap as a soil drench.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"