Mulch - Cypress/Nature Scapes/Pine Straw - Knowledgebase Question

McDonough, Ge
Question by coneben
I have used a Cypress Mulch around my hedges and trees for several years. This year, I have been thinking about changing to a different type mulch. Are there any major differences between Scotts Nature Scapes Color enhanced mulch versus a cypress mulch? Is one better than the other? If not, then would pine straw be a better mulch? Thanks...

There really is not a lot of difference between organic mulch materials other than their appearance and longevity. All will help suppress weeds, slow water evaporation and help moderate soil temperatures and as they decompose they will provide nutrients to the roots of your plants. Pine straw has the added bonus of being acidic so if you have azaleas and camellias or other acid-loving plants, it can be helpful. The larger the pieces of mulch, the longer it will take for them to decompose. Cypress is probably the longest lasting of all because it decomposes at a slower rate than pine bark or pine straw. Hope this information sheds some light on the subject and helps you make that mulch decision.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"