long cane rose bushes - Knowledgebase Question

shelton, Wa
Question by servicedogsa
I have several roses that in the past 3 yrs have become cany. Still very nice size roses but long and dangerous canes. Everytime I cut back roses I end up loosing most of the cane by dying and no roses. what am I doing wrong??

0

If the canes are dying after you've pruned them, you may be pruning too late in the season and the pruning cuts are inviting cane borers. To avoid this, just dab a little Elmer's Glue onto each pruning cut. Once it hardens the borers won't have access to the cuts in the canes. When your roses just begin to show signs of growth (swelling buds on the canes), it's time to prune them back. Start by selecting 3-5 of the most vigorous looking canes and pruning out all the rest - all the way down to the graft (swelling) on the main stem. The reduce the height of the canes remaining, cutting each to an outside facing bud in the direction you want the new growth to take. I prune mine down to about 18" from the ground. The canes should be evenly spaced and the finished product should have a vase shape with an open center. New flowering canes will develop from your shortened canes as the spring and summer progresses. Best wishes with your roses.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"