Ball Moss - Knowledgebase Question

Brookshire, Te
Question by acgvan
I have a Crepe myrtle tree that is inundated with ball moss. Years ago I used a copper sulfate product to reduce the moss but it has returned. It may not be killing the tree but it sure keeps it from blooming. what is safe to use???

0

Ball moss is controlled with foliar applications of copper based products but if sprayed at the wrong time of the year, can damage flower buds. Sprays of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) are also reported to be effective. However, to date I have not been able to locate a sodium bicarbonate product labeled for ball moss control. Sprays are most effective when applied in late winter. The time between February and early March is suggested as the best period for treatment. A light rain following the spray application is necessary for maximum effectiveness. This is because it is speculated that the moss quickly takes in nutrients through its leaf like structures following rain or heavy dew. Thanks for the question. Please stop in again soon!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"